Translate

Monday, December 1, 2014

I Ate a Lot on Thursday

It's Monday again.

So Hispanics eat a lot. Thanksgiving is a day of which we eat a lot. I'm a missionary so I visit a lot of people in one day. Let's just say, I ate a lot on Thursday. Only two and a half meals, I got off easy. I think the elders ate 10. I don't know how they did it. But Elder Cs is a pretty big, football playing guy. His companion is kind of skinny though. But ya. We had a Thanksgiving lunch with the S family. They are recent converts, and less active. They work on Sunday, which is a problem. I don't even want to know how many times we've told them that it's one of the commandments not to work on Sunday. Seriously people, one of the big ten. Then we stopped by our recent converts ES's house to see how he was doing, and they were eating. So therefore, we had to eat too. But we told them that we were just going to dinner, so they let us off easy with only a small portion. But let's just say, I was not hungry. Then we ate at the G's house. They had lots of people, lots of food. It was fun. And super good. I don't know what's up with the people we ate with, but they had only one option for dessert! I think we just left the S's house before it came out though (we had an appointment), the S's had a fruit cakeish thing, and the G's only had cheesecake. Where's the variety! (Mind you, it was super good, but still.) Like we always had like three different pies, and tarts, and I don't even know what. But it's ok. I survived. I really just wanted a really good pumpkin pie. I didn't get one:(

SUNNY WENT TROUGH THE TEMPLE? Why don't you ever tell me the important things in life? CONGRATULATIONS! (Or whatever you tell someone when they go through the temple . . .) I hope you love the temple as much as I do. Go often! Be a temple worker--it is simply the best use of time. You feel the spirit so strongly all the time, even in your every day life. And you learn so much too! Do it! If you can of course, it does take up a bunch of time. I have been so blessed to have always lived within an hour of the temple. Right now I'm only like 15-20 minutes away. It's pretty cool.

I have not heard of any (Christmas) tree lots. I don't think they exist here.

We had a baptism! Remember D? Ya, she's a member now. It's been such a blessing to teach her. I feel like she was just dropped into our laps. Not a problem with her. Not a single one. And her mom is preparing to go to the temple again. How cool is that? I think I told you everything about her. Everyone cried at her baptism. The young women sang a musical number. Hermana S and I gave talks. It was great. 





So we have these Cuban investigators. They are so amazing. They are K, B, A, and M (we call them KABM for short, not to their faces of course). A is the father of B, and K is the daughter of B. M is B's friend who comes over for the lessons. They are amazing because when we ask them to do things (baptism, live the word of wisdom, law of chastity, all of that stuff) if one of them has a problem with it, the others (primarily B) will explain, and exhort them to do it. We don't have to do anything. It's great. They're the best missionaries to each other. It's hilarious, and so great!

We have a little plastic Christmas tree in our apartment. I put an Angel Moroni on it. I've been wanting to do that for a long time. I finally got to do it! It was quite the elaborate process though. I had to find a picture from the Ensign, cut it out, put it on poster board so it would be stiff enough to stand up (but I don't have glues), laminate it using packing tape, and figure out how to get it on the tree. I made a little tape ring thing. But I like a result. It's a little large for the tree, but hey, it's Angel Moroni!

I put Angel Moroni on our Christmas Tree

Hermana S and Angel  Moroni are Buds.

I ate grasshoppers the other day. Yup. That's a thing. They were just kind of crunchy. We ate them with eggs and bread, just to try them. We were at a member's house.

I want everyone's conversion stories. Especially from those who had a harder life than mine. People tend to discount my testimony because I grew up in the church. Nonsense! I would not subject myself to this if I didn't know this was true. Like seriously. Missions. Are. Not. Easy. 

We like to do something called the 21 day challenge. It's when you pick some people that you would like to come back to church, or get baptized, or the like, and then you pray every day for them in the mornings and in the evenings for 21 days. You also read your scriptures everyday and have some form of contact with them every single day. By the end of those 21 days, the people that you are praying for will be significantly closer to coming back to church, or getting baptized, or whatever. I'm pretty sure that's all of it. But you guys should try doing it! Come on, it's pretty noncommittal. I'm not even asking you to preach to anyone or anything like that. Of course, that'll probably come at the end, but still! Do it! This is your work, not the missionaries. We're here to help you, not the other way around. You are not here to give us food or to serve us. We are here to serve you. So let us, by giving us people to teach. If you doubt it, Elder Foster told us that. Right now, it's either just missionaries or members helping missionaries. But that's wrong. It needs to be missionaries helping members. Ok. So that's my lecture for the day.

So now I'm at that point where I don't know what to say. I feel like I've been writing letters for like forever and my companion isn't done yet . . .


Hermana Leete

My talk on Baptism

No comments:

Post a Comment